Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Changing Language Freak Out

Revising does not equal improving; it's fluidity - Lil
Making it play - Carrie W
Recognizing that it's hard - Lacy
Hiking as metaphor for writing - Megan
Revising as responding to others - Lacy
It's like learning to swim in handcuffs. - Lil
Draft means ideas. - Lil

I'm thinking more into my inquiry question about changing the language we use with writing.  (I apologize for starting to sound like a broken record.)  I think I can start saying stuff that encourages constant progress and start gaining identities as writers.  However, I still fall into the binary and a non ZPD type of language.  I think part of the problem is that I can't decide which words aren't ok.  For example, "improving" and "making a better draft"  still implies that someone can move from "bad" to "good".  Even the writing center's motto is to make "better writers".  The writing center is one of the most process and collaborative orientated place I know and they still use the binary language.  So what words can I use?!  What can I say my goal is in helping students with their writing?

1 comment:

  1. I like how you are struggling with the naming of concepts and the breaking of old labels for new work. Maybe you can create the new words or see the old ones in a different context.

    ReplyDelete