Monday, July 11, 2011

Joining Storify and Writing Circle

Today, when Tara told me to write about something in the social studies field, I froze.  I remember almost nothing from history and social studies classes from K-12 so I couldn't write from past experiences.  Also, the only new I get is from CNN tweets because, honestly, the news just made me angry and depressed so I stopped watching/reading it.  Fortunately, we were able to write in any genre so I picked a genre that would allow me to both write and learn at the same time, Storify.  My group picked "conflict".  I chose to write about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.  One of the real cool things about Storify is that - simultaneously - I can learn the history of the conflict  through Wikipedia and other links to historical documents, the current events through posted links on Youtube, Twitter and Facebook and get real life reactions from people all over the world.  This was an awesome way to be able to learn about something I didn't know before because it was both fun and gave me many sides of the story to examine all in one place! 

Click here for Palestinian and Isreal Conflict Storify

1 comment:

  1. Megan, You and I had a similar experience today. When presented with social studies, funnily the only thing I could think of at first was second grade- and studying community. I can actually see a page in a textbook that has the word community in bold. Weird!! Anyway, Storify helped me in the same that helped you, I think- by letting me write with other stories. I am trying to think about how to think with a storify lens on other things... trying to think about what that would mean... hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete