Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Multivoiced Poem: "I am Mismade"

As my group talked during Ashley's demo about people having authentic voices to claims their own identities, I started thinking a lot about the damaging effects of stereotypes and the things people say that reflect these stereotypes.  The identity traits that get built into those who do not fit the stereotypes are only negative.  This struck a very emotional chord with me - as I told the group about our discussions, my voice cracked as I tried not to cry - and this mutli-voiced poem became my outlet.

I am Mismade






Boys shouldn’t cry.







Boys should play tough.









 Boys should play sports.







Boys should be muscular.
GIRL:
I like to play in the mud; boys don’t like dirty girls.

BOY:
Emotional movies make me cry; girls don’t like sissies.

GIRL:
I feel angry; if I show it, they call me irrational.

BOY:
I hate playing the rough games.  I come away with bruises; if I don’t play, my friends abandon me.

GIRL:
I like football; they call me a dyke.

BOY:
I like to play the piano; they call me gay.

GIRL:
I am a size 14; they call me ugly.

BOY:
I have an illness that makes my body small; they call me weak.

GIRL and BOY:
Something is wrong with me.  I am not like everyone else.  I am a mistake. I am mismade.  

Girls should be dainty and clean.




 

Girls should be ruled by their emotions and not rationality.








Girls should play house.







Girls should be skinny.

2 comments:

  1. Your poetry makes me think of the many different roles we assume to mask identities we are unsure of. Aren't you glad we have words to help us express those things that are difficult to explain? Poetry is like an open gate that invites us into a world where rules can't define us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan this is a powerful piece!!! I would love to hear three people read this aloud just like we did with the two-sided poems last week. It is amazing to me how we constantly perpetuate and buy into the stereotypes that exist in our society. Even as a person that is aware of the stereotypes that are out there I still find myself carrying them out with my daughter, nieces, and nephews. Thank you for sharing this! Maybe you should consider publishing it!

    ReplyDelete