Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 5 Reflection - Digital or die?

So my musings at the end of the fifth day of SI have little to do with my inquiry, except for the fact that it deals with language (though, honestly, what doesn't?)  I am thinking about the ways teachers and students talk about digital as compared to non-digital composing.  I feel like we've begun to talk about non-digital composing like it's taboo.  Those who do not compose digitally are labeled as those who either are not comfortable enough with it, are not proficient enough to use it or do not have access to it.  Digital composing, on the other hand, has become privileged.  We may only show digital examples for students and push strongly the new (and, yes, very cool) technologies we've learned.  In our language, we seem to have forgotten that both digital and non-digital genres are just modes that are used to convey some sort of message to some sort of audience.  Using non-digital genres may be more successful in reaching an audience in some circumstances.  Also, I worry that this type of language will not only build a digital snobbery in our students but will also shut some students down both emotionally and creatively.   Some students may prefer to compose as assignment non-digitally and, if we want students to have agency and take control over their learning, they should feel as if they have the option to do that without feeling as if they will be ridiculed by classmates or the teacher, be labeled negatively or possibly receive a lower grade than those who composed digitally.  And though none of that may happen or be our intentions, our language may reflect those consequences.   For example, I am considering trying out a scrapbook - a physical one, not a digital one - for my portfolio.  However, today, the examples were all digital and the implication was that if we did not do a digital portfolio, we are not comfortable with technology.   I feel very comfortable learning and using technology and feel very proficient in that use, but I wanted to do something creative with my hands as a wrap up to SI.  I know everyone at SI has the best of intentions and no one will say or think bad things or lower my grades because I did not do a digital portfolio.  But even with that knowledge and the security I have with my ideas and my abilities as a student, I still felt a little squeamish about trying out something non-digital.  A less secure student would like have felt like he/she had no other option but to throw away his/her ideas and find something digital to do.  Technology is awesome, useful and a lot of fun to play with.  At the same time, I think it would have disastrous consequences for our students if we do not reflect on the language we are using to present and talk about digital and non-digital composing spaces.

2 comments:

  1. The idea of a scrapbook portfolio is awesome (and if you decide to go that route, let me know - I'm a closet scrapbooker :) )!
    As for the digital / non-digital modes of publishing for composition, I see the argument. I know that for me, in my classes I have to offer options because I know that my kids don't have equal or consistent access to technology. But I want to give them that option because I feel like they should have that familiarity with technology because I know they'll be exposed to it in college. It's a conundrum - perhaps the only option is to offer options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you!! You are onto something important here. Thank you for letting me think with you on this. Lil and I were talking a lot about assessment this afternoon... you are bringing a whole other component to that discussion and thinking. Go Megan!!

    ReplyDelete